Friday, August 31, 2007

Week 6, Thing 15--Library 2.0

Thoughts about Library 2.0 and Web 2.0. . .

From the essays I read--

**some people are spending 40 hours a week online

(what kind of life is that??),

**Web 2.0 principals-simplicity, interactivity, user-participation, collective intelligence, self-service

I love the parts of Web 2.0 that connect us to people and to media; the internet is an awesome vehicle for connecting. BUT the idea of user participation to define information scares me! What if we sink to having no facts, but just perceptions? Wikipedia is becoming more useful because it's heavily used and checked, but when does public popular opinion become the basis for fact? Not to mention that the internet is way too prone to rumor and misinformation and too easily believed to be authoritative. Humans make the web, and it's open to error, selfishness, and just plain untruth.
Dirk showed me Plato's levels of knowledge in The Republic:
(Intellect) 1st--knowledge, 2nd--thought
(Opinion) 3rd--belief, and 4th-imaging--opinion
I think I agree with Plato.

No comments: