Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Week 7, Thing 16--Wikis

OK--Wikis.
Interesting to read the wiki examples in our list--I can actually begin to see the usefulness of such an interactive format--that's something for someone from Missouri like me. (But I noticed the vandalism update on the Library Success Best Practices wiki--sigh.)
I think a book review wiki could be very useful in a library IF people had/took the time to post entries and keep current. But how successful are we in attracting continuing interest in our own BCPL virtual book club?? There is just so much time in a day, I guess.
I think libraries sharing success stories is a fabulous idea!
And I think the conference wikis would be truly useful and fun (if you had a laptop or could find an open convention computer).
Not sure if I can see wikis working for conference planning. We're finishing up plans for our CSD Kids Are Customers conference in October. True, we've done some frantic emailing back and forth, but having everybody post on a wiki would be confusing. Who would approve the final plans? Who would be responsible for noticing last minute changes? Who would pick up any left out pieces?
I'll keep thinking.

No comments: